PRESCRIPTION: 2 QUOTES A DAY
There is always talk about the importance of customer service, experience and success, yet only a few companies have this concept down to a science. Talking about it is one thing; actually delivering great experience is another. What the successful companies like Walt Disney and Amazon do is to put the customer’s total experience, from start to finish, at the heart of everything they do. This involves a lot of learning from others – about successes and failures – as well as making constant feedback a part of their operations.
One great way to make excellent customer service delivery a reality is to focus on some customer service quotes and think about how these can be applied in your business. The 10 quotes and tips used below are by no means exhaustive, but rather a 5 day prescription of 2 quotes a day, to get you to start thinking seriously about customer service in your particular circumstance. While reading the quotes, it would be helpful to make some notes about the things that you are doing well and also changes that need to be made:
1. “The more you engage with customers the clearer things become and the easier it is to determine what you should be doing.” ~ John Russell
Tip: Get to know your customers. You can follow them on social media to give you more insights into what they like.
2. “Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong.” ~ Donald Porter
Tip: It is OK to make mistakes, you are human. Be honest about the mistakes and take immediate steps to correct them.
3. “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” ~ Bill Gates
Tip: Focus on feedback, you can only get better.
4. “Your customer doesn’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” ~ Damon Richards
Tip: Actions speak louder than words; show your customers that you care.
5. “Never leave your customers wondering.” ~ Kevin Stirtz
Tip: Be clear in all communications to your clients. Make it easy for them to contact you.
6. “You’ll never have a product or price advantage again. They can be easily duplicated, but a strong customer service culture can’t be copied.” ~ Jerry Fritz
Tip: Have a customer service policy in place. When everyone in the business adheres to it, it becomes the culture – ‘the way things are done here’.
7. “Know what your customers want most and what your company does best. Focus on where those two meet.” ~ Kevin Stirtz
Tip: Find out what your strengths are and use them to your advantage.
8. “Make your product easier to buy than your competition, or you will find your customers buying from them, not you.” ~ Mark Cuban
Tip: Convenience is important to your customer. Walk in your customer’s shoes and ascertain how easy it is to do business with you.
9. “We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better.” ~ Jeff Bezos
Tip: Continuous improvement of the customer experience requires that you take feedback seriously.
10. “Merely satisfying customers will not be enough to earn their loyalty. Instead, they must experience exceptional service worthy of their repeat business and referral. Understand the factors that drive this customer revolution.” ~ Rick Tate
Tip: Every time you serve a customer, ask yourself what going the extra mile for that transaction will look like, and get moving!